Resolutions help give us a direction for the new year ahead. As we close the book on the trying year that was 2020, it’s time to start thinking about how to set and achieve resolutions for 2021, especially for seniors.
How to Set Resolutions and Keep Them
Many people choose to make resolutions for the new year ahead. But what is the secret to keeping them? Set goals that are realistic for you according to your time, financial, and other constraints. Setting resolutions with a friend or family member is one way to make sure you stay accountable to them. You can also create a visual reminder like a chart to help track your progress. It takes an average of two months to form a new habit, so don’t feel discouraged if you don’t make a lot of progress in the first few weeks.
The resolutions you choose will depend on what you want to focus on. Some general resolution ideas for seniors include:
- Eating a balanced diet: Including servings of fruits, vegetables, healthy fats, fish, and dairy.
- Staying active: Physical activity is essential as you age. The key is to participate in activities that you feel safe doing. Anything from walking to swimming and aerobics are all activities that will help you keep moving.
- Quit Smoking: People who smoke are twice as likely to develop heart disease as those who don’t.
- Learn New Technology: 2020 became the year that everyone learned new technology skills. Take advantage of this by asking a family member, friend, caregiver, or tech tutor to show you how to use applications like Zoom, Gmail, and more.
- Pick up a New or Old Hobby: Picking up a hobby you enjoy is a good way to start the new year off on the right foot.
- Share with Family: Are there some family traditions or heirlooms you’ve been meaning to share or pass down? Use 2021 as the year to do just that.
If you’re thinking about hiring a caregiver for your friend or loved one in Orange County or Newport Beach, CA as a resolution for the new year, reach out to Optimal Senior Care Solutions. Our staff of senior care experts will be happy to assist you.